Archive | 511 A St. SE RSS feed for this archive

500 block, south side (DCHistoryQuest)

1 December 2016

0 Comments

The following notes are taken from DCHistoryQuest, “an interactive GIS map that provides historical data on approximately 127,000 extant buildings in Washington, D.C.” To save space, I have deleted lines that are left blank. Please keep in mind that if no building permit is cited, the construction date is usually conjectural.


503 A STREET SE

Contributing — Yes
Square— 0842
Lot — 0812
Year Built — 1880
Source — DC Historical Building Permits Database
Permit # — 0225
Permit Date: August 16, 1880
Original Owner — Ruff (Sarah J.) & Davis (Virginia M.)
Builder — Schaffert, J. L.
Material — brick
Purpose — dwelling
Est’d Cost — $6,600.00
Qty Built — 3
Permit Note — plans on file
Microfilm Roll — 0058
Rooms — 0
Width — 18
Depth — 57
Stories — 2
Store? 0
Solid or Filled Land — solid
Foundation Material — brick
Front Material — brick & stone
Stone Type — brownstone courses
Roof Type — flat
Roof Material — tin
Heat — Latrobe(s)


505 A STREET SE

Contributing — Yes
Square — 0842
Lot — 0813
Year Built — 1880
Source — DC Historical Building Permits Database
Permit # — 0225
Permit Date — August 16, 1880
Original Owner — Ruff (Sarah J.) & Davis (Virginia M.)
Builder — Schaffert, J. L.
Material — brick
Purpose — dwelling
Est’d Cost — $6,600.00
Qty Built — 3
Permit Note — plans on file
Microfilm Roll — 0058
Rooms — 0
Width — 18
Depth — 57
Stories — 2
Store? — 0
Solid or Filled Land — solid
Foundation Material — brick
Front Material — brick & stone
Stone Type — brownstone courses
Roof Type — flat
Roof Material — tin
Heat — Latrobe(s)


507 A STREET SE

Contributing — Yes
Square — 0842
Lot — 0814
Year Built — 1885
Source — DC Historical Building Permits Database
Permit # — 1858
Permit Date — May 25, 1885
Original Owner — McLean, F.
Builder — Rhodes & Simms
Material — brick
Purpose — dwelling
Est’d Cost — $2,000.00
Qty Built — 1
Microfilm Roll — 0086
Rooms — 0
Width — 19
Depth — 45
Stories — 2
Store? — 0
Solid or Filled Land — solid
Foundation Material — brick
Front Material — pressed brick
Roof Type — flat
Roof Material — tin


509 A STREET SE

Contributing — Yes
Square — 0842
Lot — 0815
Year Built — 1887
Source — DC Historical Building Permits Database
Permit # — 0351
Permit Date — August 1, 1887
Original Owner — Marche, Thos. B.
Builder — Cox, Oliver
Material — brick
Purpose — dwelling
Est’d Cost — $6,000.00
Qty Built — 2
Permit Note — plans on file
Microfilm Roll — 0108
Rooms — 0
Width — 15
Depth 30
Stories — 2
Store? — 0
Solid or Filled Land — solid
Foundation Material — brick
Front Material — pressed brick
Roof Type — flat
Roof Material — tin


511 A STREET SE

Contributing — Yes
Square — 0842
Lot — 0816
Year Built — 1887
Source — DC Historical Building Permits Database
Permit # — 0351
Permit Date — August 1, 1887
Original Owner — Marche, Thos. B.
Builder — Cox, Oliver
Material — brick
Purpose — dwelling
Est’d Cost — $6,000.00
Qty Built — 2
Permit Note — plans on file
Microfilm Roll — 0108
Rooms — 0
Width — 15
Depth — 30
Stories — 2
Store? — 0
Solid or Filled Land — solid
Foundation Material — brick
Front Material — pressed brick
Roof Type — flat
Roof Material — tin


513 A STREET SE

Contributing — Yes
Square — 0842
Lot — 0033
Year Built — 1887
Source — Hopkins Maps
Purpose — dwelling
Other Notes — 1870s
Store? — 0


515 A STREET SE

Contributing — Yes
Square — 0842
Lot — 0818
Year Built — 1887
Source — Hopkins Maps
Purpose — dwelling
Other Notes — 1870s
Store? — 0


517 A STREET SE

Contributing — Yes
Square — 0842
Lot — 0819
Year Built — 1887
Source — Hopkins Maps
Purpose — dwelling
Other Notes — 1870s
Store? — 0

Advertisements
Continue reading...

Residents of 511 A in Boyd’s Directory

1 May 2016

0 Comments

[Originally posted 27 January 2014; revised 1 May 2016. The most recently added information is highlighted in green.]

The following persons appear in Boyd’s Directory of the District of Columbia at 511 A Street, SE:

[1872] L. E. Forrest Spofford (clerk, Land Office).

[1873] Thomas B. Marche (clerk, Post Office Department); Rev. Samuel G. Valiant.

[1875] William H. Mirick (teacher).

[1877] Thomas B. Marche (clerk, Post Office Department); Emma S. Searle (clerk, boards); George B. Harrison (Keilholtz & Harrison, boards).

[1878] Emma F. Marche (clerk); Thomas B. Marche (clerk).

[1879] George B. Harrison (brickmaker).

[1880] George B. Harrison (brickmaker); Thomas B. Marche (clerk, Post Office Department).

[1881] Everett T. Marche (mail clerk); Thomas B. Marche (clerk, Post Office Department); George B. Harrison (brickmaker).

[1882] Thomas B. Marche (clerk, Post Office Department); T. E. Marche (postal clerk); George B. Harrison (bricks).

[1883] Thomas B. Marche (clerk, Post Office Department); T. Everett Marche (postal clerk); Edna Grubb.

[1884] Thomas B. Marche (clerk, Post Office Department); T. Everett Marche (postal clerk).

[1885] Thomas B. Marche (clerk, Post Office Department); Thomas E. Marche (clerk, Railway Mail Service).

[1887] Thomas B. Marche (clerk, Post Office Department).

[1889] Mary A. St. John (widow of John M. St. John); James A. Dunnington (police).

[1890] Blanche M. Dunnington (clerk); James A. Dunnington (police); Lilian E. Dunnington (clerk); Rebecca M. Dunnington (clerk).

[1891] James A. Dunnington (police); Mary A. St. John (widow of John St. John).

[1892] Blanche M. Dunnington (clerk); James A. Dunnington (police); Rebecca Dunnington (clerk).

[1893] James A. Dunnington (police).

[1894] James A. Dunnington (police).

[1895] James A. Dunnington (police).

[1896] James A. Dunnington (police).

[1897] James A. Dunnington (police).

[1899] S. Leroy Pritchard (Fishing Commission); Harriet W. Price (widow of J. Hugh Price).

[1900] Harriet W. Price (widow of J. Hugh Price); S. LeR. Pritchard (clerk, Fishing Commission).

[1902] S. Leroy Pritchard (clerk, Fishing Commission).

[1903] Harriet W. Price (widow of John Price); E. Florence Pritchard; S. Leroy Pritchard (Fishing Commission); James A. Dunnington (police).

[1904] S. Leroy Pritchard (Fishing Commission); Harriet W. Price (widow of Jehu [sic] Price).

[1905] Harriet W. Price (widow of John Price).

[1906] Harriet W. Price (widow of John Price); S. Leroy Prichard (Bureau of Fisheries).

[1907] S. Leroy Prichard (Bureau of Fisheries); Harriet W. Price (widow of Jehu [sic] Price).

[1908] Florence E. Pritchard; Samuel Le Roy Pritchard (Bureau of Fisheries).

[1909] Florence E. Pritchard.

[1911] Florence Pritchard (boards); Samuel L. Pritchard (clerk).

[1912] Stephen M. Pritchard (clerk, Post Office Department).

[1913] Samuel LeR. Pritchard (Bureau of Fisheries); Sarah H. Pritchard.

[1914] Florence Pritchard (boards); Samuel L. Pritchard (clerk).

[1915] Clarke J. Risler (bookkeeper); Maurice M. Risler (skilled laborer, Treasury Department).

[1916] Clarke J. Risler (bookkeeper); Maurice M. Risler (skilled laborer, Treasury Department).

[1917] Maurice M. Risler.

[1919] E. Florence Pritchard (clerk); Clarke J. Risler (U.S. Army); Maurice M. Risler (skilled laborer, Treasury Department).

[1920] Maurice M. Risler.

[1922] Florence Pritchard.

[1923] Clark J. Risler (salesman, Coca-Cola Company); Maurice M. Riser (skilled laborer, Treasury Department); Mrs. Pearl Risler (clerk, International Reform Bureau).

[1925] Maurice M. Risler.

[1928] Nellie E. Castle.

[1932] Lester E. Steele.

[1934] Maud Castle.

[1936] Maud Castle.

[1956] Vincent Mauro.

[1967] Vincent Mauro.

[1973] Vincent Mauro.

 

Continue reading...

Building permits

11 April 2015

0 Comments

The following list is adapted from a summary of Capitol Hill building permits created by the Capitol Hill Restoration Society.


Unidentified A Street address

22′ x 28′ brick dwelling, permit no. 2020, 4 April 1879. Estimated cost: $2,200. Owner: Madison Davis.

301 A St., SE

56′ x 73′ brick church, permit no. 126, 19 July 1888. Estimated cost: $20,000. Owner: St. Mark’s Church, Trustees. Architect: T. Buckler Ghequier. Builder: W. H. C. Thompson.

304 A St., SE

18′ x 30′ brick and stone dwelling, permit no. 185, 13 July 1909. Estimated cost: $5,000. Owner: D. J. Murphy. Architect: L. Norris. Builder: D. J. Murphy.

306 A St., SE

18′ x 30′ brick and stone dwelling, permit no. 185, 13 July 1909. Estimated cost: $5,000. Owner and builder: D. J. Murphy. Architect: L. Norris.

312 A St., SE

19′ x 34′ brick and stone dwelling, permit no. 360, 9 September 1898. Estimated cost: $3,500. Owner: Gershom Bradford. Architect and builder: James M. York & Son.

314 A St., SE

23′ x 26′ brick dwelling, permit no. 252, 5 August 1885. Estimated cost: $8,000. Owners: Mrs. M. Davis and Mrs. Ruff. Architect: Emil S. Friedrich. Builder: John H. Edelin.

316 A St., SE

23′ x 26′ brick dwelling, permit no. 252, 5 August 1885. Estimated cost: $8,000. Owners: Mrs. M. Davis and Mrs. Ruff. Architect: Emil S. Friedrich. Builder: John H. Edelin.

317 A St., SE

22′ x 28′ brick dwelling, permit no. 1519, 30 October 187 [incomplete number]. Estimated cost: $1,500. Owner: Hugh McCaffrey.

318 A St., SE

[This entry is partly illegible.] Brick private garage, permit no. 787. Owner: Charles Shelton. Architect: William B. Shelton.

320 A St., SE

19′ x 28′ brick dwelling, permit no. 3638, 21 February 1912. Estimated cost: $3,000. Owner: Julia A. Chase. Architect: B. B. Adams. Builder: William S. Spencer.

322 A St., SE

21′ x 31′ brick dwelling, permit no. 180, 28 July 1899. Estimated cost: $6,000. Owner: J. N. Avery. Architect: Edward Woltz. Builder, J. C. Yost.

323 A St., SE

20′ x 28′ brick dwelling permit no. 1418, 10 October 187 [incomplete number]. Estimated cost: $2,000. Owner: Henderson Fowler.

325 A St., SE

22′ x 28′ brick dwelling, permit no. 856, 3 July 1878. Estimated cost: $3,200. Owner: Hugh McCaffrey.

327 A St., SE

22′ x 28′ brick dwelling, permit no. 856, 3 July 1878. Estimated cost: $3,200. Owner: Hugh McCaffrey.

329 A St., SE

24′ x 28′ brick dwelling and store, permit no. 215, 29 July 1885. Estimated cost: $2,000. Owner: George W. Barnes.

400 A St., SE

21′ x 40′ brick dwelling, permit no.2391, 18 May 1887. Estimated cost: $4,000. Owner: H. P. Godwin.

402 A St., SE

21′ x 40′ brick dwelling, permit no. 2390, 18 May 1887. Estimated cost: $3, 000. Owner: F. A. Wood.

404 A St., SE

21′ x 34′ brick dwelling, permit no. 453, 25 August 1892. Estimated cost: $10,000. Owner and builder: N. Hilliard. Architect: N. T. Haller.

405 A St., SE

17′ x 32′ brick dwelling, permit no. 827, 23 November 188 [incomplete number]. Estimated cost: $9,000. Owner, architect, and builder: Charles W. King.

406 A St., SE

21′ x 34′ brick dwelling, permit no. 453, 25 August 1892. Estimated cost: $10,000. Owner and builder: N. Hilliard. Architect: N. T. Haller.

407 A St., SE

17′ x 32′ brick dwelling, permit no. 827, 23 November 188 [incomplete number]. Estimated cost: $9,000. Owner, architect, and builder: Charles W. King.

408 A St., SE

23′ x 63′ brick dwelling, permit no. 1878, 4 April 1892. Estimated cost: $8,500. Owner: Mary L. Hill. Architect: N. T. Haller. Builder: John H. Nolan.

409 A St., SE

17′ x 32′ brick dwelling, permit no. 827, 23 November 188 [incomplete number]. Estimated cost: $9,000. Owner, architect, and builder: Charles W. King.

410 A St., SE

19′ x 45′ brick dwelling, permit no. 1008, 24 November 190 [incomplete number]. Estimated cost: $3,500. Owner: Henry E. Tripp. Architect: John Webster.

411 A St., SE

31 x 32 brick dwelling, permit no. 1203, 3 December 1891. Estimated cost: $4,000. Owner, architect, and builder: F. S. Obold.

413 A St., SE

16′ x 32′ brick dwelling, permit no. 641, 17 September 1889. Estimated cost: $7,000. Owner: Dr. J. W. Bayne. Architect: T. Franklin Schneider. Builder: W. F. Kirby & Brothers.

415 A St., SE

16′ x 32′ brick dwelling, permit no. 641, 17 September 1889. Estimated cost: $7,000. Owner: Dr. J. W. Bayne. Architect: T. Franklin Schneider. Builder: W. F. Kirby & Brothers.

417 A St., SE

20′ x 36′ brick dwelling, permit no. 366, 15 August 1892. Estimated cost: $5,200. Owner: J. W. Bayne. Architect: T. Franklin Schneider. Builder: S. J. Prescott.

503 A St., SE

18′ x 57′ brick dwelling, permit no. 225, 17 August 1880. Estimated cost: $6,600. Owners: Sarah J. Ruff and Virginia Davis. Architect: J. L. Schaffert.

504 A St., SE

22′ x 58′ brick dwelling, permit no. 805, 31 January 1883. Estimated cost: $2,500. Owner: Bernard Kernan.

505 A St., SE

18′ x 57′ brick dwelling, permit no. 225, 17 August 1880. Estimated cost: $6,600. Owners: Sarah J. Ruff and Virginia Davis. Architect: J. L. Schaffert.

506 A St., SE

21′ x 58′ brick dwelling, permit no. 282, 26 July 1906. Estimated cost: $10,000. Owner: John C. Hesse. Architect: W. S. Plager. Builder: George W. Barkman.

507 A St., SE

19′ x 45′ brick dwelling, permit no. 1858, 26 May 1885. Estimated cost: $2,000. Owner: F. McLean. Architect: Rhodes and Simms.

509 A St., SE

15′ x 30′ brick dwelling, permit no. 351, 2 August 1887. Estimated cost: $6,000. Owner: Thomas B. Marche. Architect: Oliver Cox.

510 A St., SE

18′ x 30′ brick dwelling, permit no. 1979, 24 December 190 [incomplete number]. Estimated cost: $4,300. Owner: Henry A. Hesse. Architect: W. S. Plager. Builder: George W. Barkman.

511 A St., SE

15′ x 30′ brick dwelling, permit no. 351, 2 August 1887. Estimated cost: $6,000. Owner: Thomas B. Marche. Architect: Oliver Cox.

516 A St., SE

21′ x 31′ brick dwelling, permit no. 1045, 4 March 1880. Estimated cost: $4,000. Owner: B. D. Harrison.

518 A St., SE

21′ x 31′ brick dwelling, permit no. 1045, 4 March 1880. Estimated cost: $4,000. Owner: B. D. Harrison.

Continue reading...

Samuel Pritchard: death

11 August 2014

0 Comments

“Deaths Reported.” Washington Evening Star, 20 February 19194, p. 8.

Image

Continue reading...

Real estate transfer: Pritchard to Walsh and Pritchard

10 August 2014

0 Comments

“Real Estate Transfers.” Washington Evening Star, 16 November 1913, p. 12.

Image

Continue reading...

John Thompson: injured by runaway team

6 May 2014

0 Comments

Washington Evening Star, 22 June 1909, p. 20.

Image

Continue reading...

Harriet Price: death

29 April 2014

0 Comments

“Died.” Washington Evening Star, 13 March 1907, p. 5.

Image

Continue reading...

Ad: room for rent (1881)

13 April 2014

0 Comments

Washington Evening Star, 6 September 1881, p. 2.

Image

Continue reading...

Annie Weeks: 1940 census

30 January 2014

0 Comments

Federal census, 1940, 511 A St., S.E., Washington, D.C.

  • Annie Weeks (owns, property $6,000), head, 61, widow, completed 4th grade, born in Va., lived in same place in 1935, not employed but has other income.
  • Maud L. Bashford (rents, $32), head, 48, widow, completed 7th grade, lived in same place in 1935, seamstress, trunk [?] factory, worked 12 weeks in 1939, income $196.
  • Fred L. Bashford, son, 29, single, completed 7th grade, born in D.C., lived in same place in 1935, truck driver, retail department store, worked 20 weeks in 1939, income $360.
  • George C. Evans (rents, $32), head, 41, married, completed 8th grade, born in Ga., lived in Atlanta, Ga., in 1935, carpenter, District Building, worked 52 weeks in 1939, income $1680 and other income.
  • Marie C. Evans, wife, 23, married, completed 8th grade, born in Ga., lived in Atlanta, Ga., in 1935, not employed.
  • Robert L. Evans, son, 5, born in Ga., lived in Atlanta, Ga., in 1935.
  • Herbert S. Gill (rents, $26), head, 34, married, completed 8th grade, born in D.C., lived in same place in 1935, decorator, private homes, worked 25 weeks in 1939, income $750.
  • Cecilia Gill, wife, 44, married, completed 8th grade, born in N.J., lived in same place in 1935, not employed.
  • Helen K. Gill, daughter, 3, born in D.C.
  • Robert R. Gill, son, 1, born in D.C.
Continue reading...

513 A Street, S.E.: summary of its history

19 January 2014

0 Comments

[The present owner of 513 A Street, S.E., has supplied this history of the house, prepared by Tim Kreis in 1994.]

513 A Street, Southeast, is a flat front Italianate house located on Capitol Hill in the District of Columbia. The land which now comprises the streets and public lands of Capitol Hill originally came into ownership of the Federal government at the time that the District of Columbia was organized during the administration of George Washington. Nineteen landowners donated their property for this purpose in addition to selling lots for federal buildings to the government for $67 each.

The lot dimensions on Capitol Hill differ from those in many other cities around the country. In Washington, the District of Columbia government owns the land up to the face of residential buildings. Some bay window arrangements as well as front porches and stoops, therefore, extend onto public property. This unusual arrangement probably stems from the unique nature of the District at the seat of national government. Congress, having faced difficulties from unruly citizens in Philadelphia, no doubt wanted to be able to control affairs in its new location. Owning the land from the front door out into the street would facilitate control of mobs or demonstrations; all persons could be ordered to remain indoors during times of civil disturbance, and there would be little misunderstanding of what that order meant. The original plats for Capitol Hill lots reflect this arrangement.

The 1803 plat shows original lot 10, square 842, where 513 A Street, S.E. now stands. Since the time this lot was drawn as part of the early speculative real estate design for this part of Washington, the lot has not changed configuration save for being subdivided into an east and west portion at the time that the house was constructed. The original intentions of the owners of this land did not come quickly to fruition, as residential construction east of the Capitol building progressed slowly. Not until after the Civil War were many of the houses in the vicinity of A Street and Sixth, Southeast built.

Records in the National Archives reflect that 513 A Street, S.E., was built in 1887.

Thomas B. Marche, a local clerk, obtained the original building permit, number 351½, for a sum of four dollars in August of 1887. This permit authorized construction of two dwellings on lot 10, square 842, one to be numbered 511 A St. S.E., the other to be 513. Subsequently, the portion where number 513 now stands was renumbered lot 317. Both buildings were originally designed with front bay windows, imitating the construction of 509 A St., which was built two years earlier. For some reason, however, probably budget restrictions, Mr. Marche built 513 without the bay window. Mr. Marche estimated the cost of building each house at the time as $3,000. Mr. Oliver Cox, a contractor who lived at 949 Massachusetts, N.W., oversaw the construction. The original application for a permit to build (brick and stone) specified a building the size of fifteen feet wide and thirty feet deep, reaching a height of twenty-five over the sidewalk. Each house authorized by the permit would stand on a lot of fifteen by one hundred feet. The back portion of the house narrows to ten feet six inches. The application provided for the foundation to be constructed of brick; the house was to have a tin roof.

On the only surviving portion of the original architect’s drawing, the architect is identified as Edw. [Edward] Woltz. The 1887 Boyd’s Directory gives Mr. Woltz’s business address as 530 9th Street, N.W. He lived at 610 I Street, N.W., apparently with his mother Eliza A., widow of Tobias Woltz, and a Charles A. D. Woltz, a painter. A John B. Woltz, carpenter, lived at 2416 N Street, N.W. at the time. and it is possible Charles and John were related to Edward and that all three were in the construction business together in some fashion. Possibly all of them worked on the building of 513 A Street, S.E.

According to Boyd’s Directory, Mr. Marche’s address in 1887 was 511 A St., S.E. However, both 511 and 513 were sold quickly, as the General Assessment of 1887, taken at the end of the year, shows Thomas B. Marche as the owner of lot 9, which is 509 A St., S.E. The house at 513 A St. was sold to Mr. Crittenden Cohen, who seems to have died shortly after purchasing it. His widow, Fannie M. Cohen, acquired title, but did not live in the house. Mrs. Cohen’s address in the city directory was 303 14th St., N.W. The earliest recorded deed of trust providing mortgage financing for the purchase of the house was apparently executed on December 16, 1889 by the Cohens. In 1900 the property was released to Mrs. Cohen’s son, William W. Cohen, who promptly sold it to a Sarah F. M. Hartley.

Although there is no record for Sarah F. M. Hartley in the city directory at the turn of the century, there are records for quite a number of her family members. Sarah was the wife of William B. Hartley, and they moved into the house in 1901. The Hartleys had previously lived at 512 A Street, S.E. William B. Hartley was a merchandise broker and manufacturer’s agent, and ran a company with his son, William P. Hartley (William B. Hartley and Son). Their office was located at 402 Sixth Street, N.W. in 1902, subsequently relocating to 310 Stewart Building, Sixth and D Street, N.W. in 1907. The Hartleys’ business telephone number was Main 2931. By 1914, the office was once again 402 Sixth Street, N.W., which suggests that the establishment may have been destroyed by fire or otherwise demolished and then rebuilt. William P. left the company at this time and became a salesman for Washington Poster Advertising Company; he took up residence at 4413 Iowa Ave., N.W. William B. Hartley died in the mid-1920s, but the house remained in the Hartley family. Sarah F. M. Hartley retained ownership until it passed to her daughters Eunice F. and Sarah D. Hartley in 1919. Eunice was listed as a skilled laborer in the city directory of 1918. She shared the residence with Sarah D. Hartley, presumably a sister or daughter, who was a clerk in the Treasury Department in 1922. By 1935, mortgage filings record a joint tenancy between Eunice F. and Sarah D. Hartley. The house remained in the possession of the Hartley family for 56 years.

Sarah D. Hartley sold the property as surviving joint tenant to Evelyn T. Haller in 1956. Ms. Haller, who is listed in the city directory, was an administrative assistant to the Honorable Richard S. Schweiker, Senator from Pennsylvania. In 1962, the house was again sold to H. George Schweitzer. The 1964 city directory gives the following listing under his name: Deborah S; Heffelfinger & Schweitzer, see Jeffers Pyer, Inc.

In 1965, Schweitzer sold the house to Robert E. Bauman, who was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Maryland during the period 1973–1981.* Rep. Bauman sold the house in 1974 to David F. and D. D. Ollman. David Ollman worked for the Capitol Hill Art and Frame Company. In 1978 the house sold again, this time to J. Ferguson and R. Lambert, who sold it in turn to Greg W. and Mary L. Ramshaw in 1979. The Ramshaws lived in the house until 1987, when it was sold to the present owner.

* Rep. Bauman served in the House from 1973 until 1981, when he resigned in the wake of a scandal involving sex with a House page at the Skyline Motel on South Capitol Street in Washington. See Bauman’s autobiography, The Gentleman from Maryland: The Conscience of a Gay Conservative (1986).

Continue reading...

Real estate transfer: Walsh to heirs of Pritchard

31 December 2013

0 Comments

“Real Estate Transfers.” Washington Post, 16 April 1914, p. 12.

Image

Continue reading...

Nellie Castle: probate case

31 December 2013

0 Comments

“Legal Notices.” Washington Post, 31 July 1926, p. 23.

Image

Continue reading...

Marions to meet

31 December 2013

0 Comments

Washington Post, 9 December 1930, p. 18.

Image

Continue reading...

Marion football meeting

31 December 2013

0 Comments

“Sandlot Dust.” Washington Post, 30 August 1932, p. 3.

Image

Continue reading...

Marion gridmen meet

31 December 2013

0 Comments

Washington Post, 20 September 1932, p. 12.

Image

Continue reading...

Ray Steele: lost uniform

29 December 2013

0 Comments

Washington Post, 21 October 1932, p. 11.

Image

Continue reading...

Marions meet tonight

29 December 2013

0 Comments

Washington Post, 6 December 1932, p. 12.

Image

Continue reading...

Stephen Pritchard: death

29 December 2013

0 Comments

“Died.” Washington Post, 19 December 1912, p. 3. [Same in 18 December, p. 3.]

Image

Continue reading...

Tree falls

29 December 2013

0 Comments

“Storm Spreads Damage, Ends D.C. Heat Wave.” Washington Post, 15 June 1937, pp. 1, 3.

[p. 3]

Image

Continue reading...

Lavinia Matheson: marriage license

21 December 2013

0 Comments

“Licensed to Marry.” Washington Post, 15 September 1936, p. X26.

Image

Continue reading...

Marion A. C. meeting

15 December 2013

0 Comments

Washington Post, 7 October 1932, p. 12.

Image

Continue reading...

Annie Le Roy Pritchard: wedding

4 December 2013

0 Comments

“In the World of Society.” Washington Evening Star, 28 October 1909, p. 10.

Image

Continue reading...

Marche in classified ad

27 January 2013

0 Comments

Washington Post, 14 May 1878, p. 4

“PILES! PILES!—DR. H. D. SHRADER, OFFICE 530 Ninth street, guarantees a complete and permanent cure in all cases of piles, without using knife, ligature, scissors, or nitric acid, or no pay. References: . . . Thos B. Marche, 511 A st. s.e. . . .”

[Same ad in 28 May 1878.]

Continue reading...

Marche’s mother lost

27 January 2013

0 Comments

“A Mother Lost and Found.” Washington Post, 15 April 1878, p. 4.

“The family of Mr. T. B. Marche, of 511 A street southeast, were much exercised on Saturday by the sudden disappearance of old Mrs. Marche, who is over eighty years of age and quite feeble. At 5:15 the matter was reported at the Eighth precinct station house and a description telephoned to all the stations. About 7 P. M. the old lady was found by officer Harvey on Aqueduct bridge and taken to the station. The family was notified and soon arrived with a carriage to take the wanderer back. The meeting of the mother and daughter was quite affecting.”

Continue reading...